< Back to Insights
Category: Apartments, Multifamily Tags: Apartments, Consumer Price Index, los angeles, Multifamily, Thought Leadership

Click Here to Download

The Consumer Price Index is measured by the average change in prices over time in a fixed market basket of goods and services. In April 2021, prices in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA metro, as measured by the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U), increased 1.1%, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. This increase was fueled by higher prices for housing and used and new motor vehicles. Over the last 12 months, the CPI-U has increased 3.6%. Food prices have increased 4.1%, energy prices have increased 26.4% (largely due to price increases in gasoline). The index for all items less food and energy increased 1.9% over the past year in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA metro.

Based on the California Tenant Protection Act, the maximum allowable rent increase is calculated by taking 5% plus the CPI for the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA market, based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics is 3.6%, for a total of 8.6%.


Note, this law does not apply to:

  • Vacant units before new tenancy. In this case, the landlord can increase rent without a limit
  • Rental units built within the past 15 years (i.e., certificate of occupancy issued)
  • Single-family homes and condos, unless the landlord is a REIT, corporation, or LLC
  • Duplexes where the landlord resides in the other unit
  • Units already under a local rent control law



Assuming you have a tenant that is occupying a building in the Greater Los Angeles area, which is due for a rent increase and their current rental amount is $1,535. Landlords would be able to increase this tenant by 8.6% which would equate to an additional $132.01 per month bringing the new monthly rent to $1,667.01.

Recent Articles

Recent Media & Thought Leadership